Study Permit (Student Visa)

Many foreign students come to Canada to study English and French. They also attend Canadian colleges/universities to obtain degrees and diplomas.

You need to apply for a study permit if:

  • the program of study is six months or longer. (You may need a visitor visa depending on the country you are from)

  • you intend to apply for another program after your initial six month period.

  • you work on campus, take an internship/co-op class, or take a paid practical training course that is part of the educational program.

If you need to apply for a study permit, you need to be accepted by an educational institute first.

Students are required to demonstrate financial sufficiency for the first year of studies.

You need to submit proof of financial support meeting the minimum of:


All provinces (except for Quebec)



$10,000/year + the cost of tuition ($833/month)

$9,600/year + the cost of tuition ($800/month)

Spouse/common-law partner/first dependent

$4,000/year ($333/month)

$5760/year ($480/month)

Dependent/subsequent family member

$3,000/year ($250/month)

$3,840/year ($320/month)

You may be asked to take the medical exam depending on the country you have resided for more than six consecutive months in the year immediately preceding the date of seeking entry to Canada.

There are many different circumstances that can affect your case. Please submit an online free request for a consultation to obtain more information.


We specialize in the following areas of immigration and education and settlement in Canada